The drop down table top for the back of the kitchen cabinet was grouted the other day. The glue I used to attach the tiles was a pain to use. It was very tedious cleaning/picking it off the sides of the individual flower petal tile pieces. I wanted to do this before grouting so that the glue would not be visible. All in all I think it turned out okay. Later on I'll attach the piano hinge after I decide what method I want to use to support the table when it is dropped down for use.
The large drawer for under the dining room floor is finished. This is where we will store our two camp chairs and possibly a small folding table (were still deciding whether we will need this or not.) The drawer glides are massive! 41" long, 3/4" thick, and very heavy. They're more difficult to install than standard drawer glides because they're so large, but also because they don't come apart (maybe I'm missing something but I couldn't find a trigger to release the slide from the side brackets.) For the bottom I ended up using 3/8" plywood that we had left over from when we finished the inside of our garage in 2008. One the sides I used 1/2" baltic birch and a piece of 3/4" fir plywood for the far end wall.
Last night I was working on installing the half wall that the slider goes over for the bathroom, I was about halfway finished installing the 1/4" BB finish panels when I was mulling more about how the door would work... UGH! (and a few swear words in my head) It wouldn't work!! I realized that I had a rather grievous framing error from months ago. I had the two opposing end walls installed differently. They both had the same starting point at the base of the toilet and shower base, but when they went up to the ceiling, one wall was 5/8" offset from the other. I had done this thinking that a 5/8" gap was needed for the wall and a sliding door. But because I hadn't worked out the details yet and I did the panels on different days, I made the second wall incorrectly. With the walls being 40 inches apart, I never really noticed the problem. It didn't whack me in the face until after I had installed the half wall yesterday only to look up and think, "Gee, why does that one wall look like it's tipping forward compared to the other wall?" BECAUSE IT WAS!! After taking a few breaths I started working through potential solutions: add a filler wedge, cut a wedge to even them out, cover the gap with a panel or veneer,... One of the big problems was that it is in a highly visible area - it's the wall between the bathroom and refrigerator cabinet. So this morning I took 3 hours to very carefully cut away a 70" long wedge that was 5/8" at one end down to another at the other end. I clamped a 70" long square (3/8"x3/8") steel rod which we had laying around to the inside of the bathroom wall and used a box cutter knife to slice the vinyl that was already glued in place along the cut line from the ceiling to the framing base of the bathroom. Then I moved the steel rod to the finished side of the plywood and clamped it in place along the cut line. Again, I used the box cutter knife and broke the grain of the plywood panel along the cutline for the wedge shape. Then, keeping the rod in place, I used my oscillating saw with the flush cutting blade to slowly score the wood and then progressively cut through the sheet. This gave me a nice clean finish edge which gets a trim strip against it. I was relieved that it all worked out and the bathroom wall is back in place (where it's supposed to be...) and almost finished.
Calvin here - after spending almost 33 years in education as a high school teacher, elementary teacher, and elementary administrator, it was time to retire! I did so happily and with no regrets; it was a terrific and fulfilling career. I do enjoy building projects as the design and building process is very therapeutic and you see a completed functional product in the end. Now to combine the build with another of Angela's and my passions - travel - is something we're really looking forward to.