I think I've mentioned this before - there's so much to keep track of during the build process. I had planned on installing the Seelevel tank monitor panel and the Victron battery monitor unit in the panel just over the cargo slider door on the passenger side. I had previously tested the wiring from the grey, black, and fresh tanks to make sure the wiring was working. What I forgot was that when I tested it I had used a + and - wire from a different location in the van as I hadn't finished all my wiring yet. Well... I forgot and continued with the build. Low and behold, I built my overhead cabinets and installed the kitchen cabinet shell overtop of all the wire runs. When I went to wire up the Seelevel panel I was looking at the wiring thinking, "Hmmm, how did this go together again? Oh CRAP!!!" I realized that the wires to the battery were not installed. THANKFULLY, I had the right idea in that I had planned for access to the wires behind the cabinets - they were covered over with 1/4" plywood. So I undid 9 screws and jumped + and - connections off the wires that I had for the lights nearby. This also reinforced for me that I am happy I ran heavier gauge wire than is necessary (12 gauge when many people would have used 14 or 16) to the lights so jumping another connection off the power source wasn't going to overload anything.
Leave a Reply.
Calvin here - after spending almost 33 years in education as a high school teacher, elementary teacher, and elementary administrator, it was time to retire! I did so happily and with no regrets; it was a terrific and fulfilling career. I do enjoy building projects as the design and building process is very therapeutic and you see a completed functional product in the end. Now to combine the build with another of Angela's and my passions - travel - is something we're really looking forward to.